Some of the key findings of this report include:
- 759,000 cultural donors gave a total of about $101 million to arts and culture organizations in 2007.
- The donations to arts and culture organizations represent 1.0% of financial donations to all types of non-profit organizations in Canada.
- The 759,000 donors to arts and culture organizations comprise 3.3% of all Canadian donors.
- Among the 11 types of non-profit organizations covered by the survey, arts and culture organizations rank ninth with regard to the overall number of donors.
- Average donations to arts and cultural organizations are relatively high.
Based on a national telephone survey of 3,863 Canadians aged 18 or older, this report finds that "charities continue to enjoy high levels of trust, but need to be better at telling their story". Arts charities are trusted by only 63% of Canadians, higher only than international development organizations (59%). Across the country, arts charities receive the highest levels of trust in the Atlantic provinces (all four above the Canadian average) and the lowest levels in Saskatchewan (58%) and Quebec (59%).
Based on an online survey of 1,003 American men and women who donated at least $1,000 to charitable organizations in 2007, this report finds that women play a strong role in charitable donation decisions.